The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) produced a great infographic titled Physical Activity in American Schools based on findings from the 2012 Shape of the Nation Report. Some of the findings include:
- Only 2 states, Mississippi and North Carolina, require schools to give classroom-based physical activity breaks.
- 14 states mandate schools provide opportunities for physical activity outside of PE class.
- Only 11 states prohibit the practice of withholding physical activity such as recess as a form of punishment.
- Just 9 states require recess in elementary schools.
- Physical activity can positively impact academic achievement.
Active Living Research encourages you to share this infographic with your networks and use with your advocacy work. To further help, we have additional information on how schools play a critical role in helping children lead active, healthy lives. Visit our schools topic page with important schools-related resources.