The 2019 Active Living Conference will be held February 17-20, 2019 at the Francis Marion Hotel in the heart of historic...
Promoting Investments in Urban Parks
This research translation project will disseminate findings from the evaluations of park-based Fitness Zones and comprehensive park and playground renovations within a framework of the importance of parks and recreational facilities to physical activity in general. The project will develop promotional materials that have scientific evidence to encourage public and private sector investments in parks and play spaces.
Products and Dissemination Activities
- Translate and disseminate research results within the broad context of the importance of physical activity to audiences with potential interest in funding parks, including both the private sector (foundations, corporation with public service goals, key stakeholders and philanthropists) and public sector (Departments of Parks and Recreation and local elected officials).
- Develop an information sheet and PowerPoint/web-based presentation that can be used by TPL’s California office and shared with 30 TPL offices and 300 employees.
- Develop materials that support TPL’s marketing campaigns around its national Parks for People program, which asserts the health benefits of parks.
- Develop materials that support TPL’s philanthropy team in the areas of institutional, corporate and planned giving, and major gifts (individual giving).
- Present the results to the American Society of Landscape Architects conference.
12/17/2013: Eight Ways Parks Improve Your Health. Healthy lifestyles often include regular time spent at parks, playgrounds, and trails. Learn eight ways that parks improve our health through a fun, 2-minute animated video and a free, full-color booklet featuring the latest research demonstrating the connection between parks and health.
08/04/2014: The Eight Ways Parks Improve Your Health brochure has been transformed into a digital ebook, complete with links to even more articles, reports and videos.